McArthur hopes for Martinez stay
Wigan midfielder James McArthur hopes manager Roberto Martinez will remain at the DW Stadium.
Martinez has been strongly linked with a move away from Wigan this summer with Liverpool and Aston Villa both credited with an interest in his services.
Wigan have given Martinez permission to speak to Liverpool about replacing Kenny Dalglish at Anfield, while he is also thought to be on Villa's wanted list to succeed Alex McLeish.
McArthur, who signed a new deal at Wigan earlier this month, believes the Latics' success in staying up is down to Martinez and he hopes his boss sticks around at Wigan.
"A lot of people wrote us off and said we'd be going down but our manager kept believing in the players and we kept believing as a team," McArthur told the Daily Record.
"I reckon it was down to him being so calm. A lot of managers would have shown the stress as the relegation pressure mounted but he is so calm and that feeling rubbed off on us.
"He is an outstanding manager and there's a chance more teams will come in for him if he doesn't go to Liverpool but hopefully it won't be this year.
"I've just signed a two-year extension which keeps me until 2016.
"I wanted to commit my future to Wigan because it's like a family club.
"Last year I played 25 times in the league and this season I've managed to start more games and that is important to me. I've had that run in the team now and I'm starting to show what I can do."
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.