The Olympic torch went out for the first time on Monday during the London 2012 relay, organisers confirmed.
The torch was attached to the side of Para-badminton star David Follett's wheelchair in Great Torrington, Devon, when the flame went out shortly before 10am.
A spokeswoman for LOCOG said: "The flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner.
"It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds."
A replacement torch was brought out from the convoy of vehicles and was lit from the mother flame.
"We keep the mother flame in specially designed miners' lanterns so if the flame does go out for some reason on the relay we relight it from the source of the flame," the spokeswoman added.
Follett was left paralysed at 19 when he was struck by a car.
But after returning to college to complete his A-Levels he looked at what sports were available to wheelchair athletes and helped to set up a badminton club.
With his playing partner, Follett has been unbeaten for three years in the four nations competitions and he is now the Para-badminton world No 1 in his class.
what do you think?
it does not bode well for the olympics , the fire going out
All the rubbish about the flame, look at the waste of money this piddling flame is costing us! I't simply a flame that was lit from a source in Greece, senf on a plane in Davey lamp form and then another burner was lit, then a torch was lit from it. How stupid, rather like the king's clothes ... we have all been suckered with this one! Anyone believing in this baloney will also believe in the tooth fairy!
What!!! please don't tell me the tooth fairy ain't real :O))))))
Windows Live User
What a load of rubbish and a waste of mega money. There are a lot more needy places to spend money than on this (wish Orange would allow me to slip a S word in just for once)
Bring back The Doors !
what a waste of money, utter rubbish
Let me just say to Orange news editor... If you are going to make a report such as this and make it sound like a scoop at least mention the FIRST time it happened in TORQUAY yesterday! It delayed the parade of the torch along Torquay's sea front by several minutes.
Phylip de la Maziere
Its an OMEN watch out!
Enjoyed that film have to admit
'We expected it to go out and it was relit from the "mother flame"' what a con, more like they rushed around and found somebody who smoked and had lighter on them! then tucked down out of sight and relit it! faulty torch my back side!! Ashas been said in this time of austerity there are many better places for all that money to go to! as for LOCOG what a bunch of incompetent idjits makeing money from all this and led by bigger idjits! There again we are probably bigger idjits for accepting it! Can't wait to see somebody run out and chuck a bucket of water over 'em! hehehehe Did I say austerity? something else from the Greeks then!
Actually there is a video of it being relit from one of the lanterns. That's not to say the lanterns aren't lit using a Clipper or a box of Swan matches though...
LMFAO Now we all know what a waste of our TAX PAYER money the games will end up being. Then West Ham get the stadium and it's never used again as they get relegated to the Ryman League. Oh yes Seb. Money well spent in deed a reeny. Oh well, back to the Car Park that will be London and the M25 from the Opening (curtesy of a box of Swan Vestas) to the closing of the Para games. I'm so excited I could eat my own leg off.....
If you ask me, the flame went out on the whole farce ages ago....
Spot on, Colin!
they should start again go back to the start as it's not the same flame
oh. relight the fire , and get on with it .
just relight the thing , and get on with it.........
Question. Why does it take 50 people to look after the Olympic Torch? Answer: I to carry it and 49 to keep re-lighting it.