Overton twins stage late rally

An impressive final-wicket stand of 69 from the Overton twins helped Somerset to a first-innings total of 411 against Warwickshire on day two.

The fourth-wicket combination of James Hildreth and Nick Compton was drawing plaudits earlier in the day before each was removed just short of completing a century, on 98 and 92 respectively at Edgbaston.

Warwickshire had a grip on things as the dismissals continued, with teenage substitute wicketkeeper Peter McKay ending up making four catches.

But Somerset produced a late rally through brothers Craig (15 not out) and first-time half-centurion Jamie Overton (56) until the latter's removal by Boyd Rankin, who finished with figures of three for 79, brought the innings to a close.

The hosts then reached 78 for one in their reply before rain brought about a premature conclusion to the day's play.

Somerset began proceedings on 237 for three, with Hildreth and Compton having put on an unbeaten 132 between them.

That had grown to 163 when Hildreth was agonisingly denied his ton by McKay's catch off Keith Barker.

Compton soon followed suit as the ball ended up once again in the gloves of McKay - in for the injured Tim Ambrose - via Rankin's delivery this time.

An early lunch was taken just after 12.30pm due to the rain with Somerset on 298 for five, and they had then progressed to 321 when 19-year-old McKay made his best catch yet to see off Peter Trego (20) off the bowling of Rankin.

Craig Kieswetter (12) and Alfonso Thomas (15) both subsequently fell lbw, the first scalp being claimed by Rikki Clarke and the second by Chris Wright.

And George Dockrell (one) was then caught by McKay off Jeetan Patel - who, like Clarke and Barker, finished with two wickets - to leave Somerset on 342 for nine.

But the all-Overton partnership gave the away side renewed impetus, halted when Jamie, having accrued his knock off just 44 balls, was caught by William Porterfield off Rankin.

Craig Overton then made the first dent in the response from Warwickshire as his delivery was sent by home captain Varun Chopra (27) to the hands of Alviro Petersen with the Bears on 40.

Just after 5pm - with Ian Westwood on 29no, Porterfield on 20no and their side 333 runs behind - rain brought the players in and they did not return to the field.