Perez: Kimi gave me no room
Sergio Perez has blamed Kimi Raikkonen for the accident which ended his hopes of his best finish since joining McLaren.
Raikkonen, however, described Perez as an "idiot", and that was prior to the 69th-lap shunt in Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix that almost ended the Finn's remarkable run of points-scoring finishes.
Perez had already pulled off daring late-braking moves on team-mate Jenson Button and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso into the chicane.
On the first occasion Perez tried a repeat manoeuvre on Raikkonen it ended with both swerving to avoid one another and cutting across the chicane, in turn resulting in the 33-year-old's remark over the radio.
Second time around, however, Raikkonen squeezed Perez into a barrier, incurring a left-rear puncture and dropping him to 10th come the flag, whilst the Mexican lost bits of his front wing.
Although Perez managed to continue, he retired a few laps from home with overheating brakes at a time when he was running in fifth.
Far from believing he was over-aggressive, Perez said: "It was risky, but there was nothing I could to avoid the crash.
"I overtook Fernando and Jenson in the same place, so at the end of the day you have to give some space.
"If you look at the accident I hit the wall on entry of the corner, so Kimi gave me no room at all and there was nothing I could do to avoid it.
"If someone could have avoided the accident then it was Kimi and not myself.
"At the end I was very unfortunate when I overheated the brakes, so that was main issue.
"I tried my best during what was a very difficult race. It's racing, sometimes things come off, sometimes they don't."
Unlike in Bahrain when Perez and Button were forced into clear-the-air talks after almost running one another off the track, team boss Martin Whitmarsh sees no reason to speak again to the 23-year-old.
"With Checo, we want him to go out there, be fearless, and learn sometimes you have to play a bit of a percentage game," said Whitmarsh.
"But overall you need someone who is committed, just as he was, so I'm happy with the way he is going.
"You can look at that incident and say Kimi didn't give space, but I'm not overly-criticising Kimi either.
"To overtake here takes a bit of a risk, and he (Perez) did a lot of over-taking, was passionate.
"If these other drivers are getting upset, that's probably a good sign."
Earlier in the race Button had complained about Perez as he twice cut corners to keep his nose in front, leading to the FIA instructing the latter to give a place to Button.
Perez does not believe it will lead to further woes with Button as he added: "I was not expecting him to attack so early at the beginning of the race.
"I gave him enough space, but I had to cut the chicane to avoid contact.
"The FIA told me to give back the position, so I did. There's nothing to be discussed, it was another good battle."