Kevin Pietersen has taken the first step toward England rehabilitation, but will need rapid progression head of the Test tour to India.
After belatedly signing a central contract, a fact confirmed at his joint press conference with England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke, Pietersen spelled out his commitment to "reintegration".
There is precious little time, however, for that to be concluded before England, with a squad picked last month, and not containing Pietersen, set off for India, via a training camp in Dubai, on October 25.
In order to be added to the touring party, Pietersen must satisfy team director Andy Flower of his good faith and readiness to rejoin dressing-room colleagues he alienated during his summer of contract wrangles with the ECB.
The South Africa-born batsman has acceded to a number of board stipulations already, in order to agree an initial four-month contract, with an extension readily available if he and Flower can locate the necessary common ground.
Pietersen apologised for the "horrible situation" of the past two months, during which he had to confess to sending "provocative" text messages to opposition South Africa players at Headingley; was then dropped for the final Test at Lord's; not offered a central contract when other senior players were and kept on the outside looking in as England embarked on the failed defence of their ICC World Twenty20 title.
It is little wonder then that, as he made clear yesterday, he wants to look forward rather than back.
"For various reasons, I don't want to go into other issues," he said.
"It's just a case for us to look forward, move forward and not delve into what's gone on. It's a private matter that will go forward now."
Clarke is in agreement, and spoke with characteristic certainty about the mutual intent to achieve a return to the fold for 32-year-old prodigal Pietersen.
"Kevin has been extremely sensible and most constructive over the last period of time in getting this started," he said.
"He and I have had an excellent two-and-a-half hours together today and it's been thoroughly constructive.
"There's lots to be done, lots to be worked out, but in the end we want this process to work."
Clarke emphasised the ECB's belief that a successful outcome was possible, and of course desirable, and underlined too that there will be no more public utterances from either party about the controversies and sagas of summer 2012.
"We wouldn't start it if we didn't want it to work immensely successfully and for England to do very well, going forward," he said.
Asked about the history, and how Pietersen's sense of alienation was able to escalate, Clarke added: "We aren't here for archaeology.
"We've looked at the archaeology and we're moving forward."
what do you think?
AT LAST SOME SENSE! DESPITE THE WHINGING DAILY MAIL CRICKET JOURNALISTS WHO BROKE THE ORIGINAL TEXT STORIES & are ultimately responsible for all this nonsense - but they do not care about England Cricket, T20 or future tours - only about that 'god' - CIRCULATION. WELCOME BACK KP - YOU ARE THE BEST ! Now go on & show the dressing room 'Mafia' of Anderson, his great mate Swann & including Broad - that you are better than this. NOW WE HAVE A REAL CHANCE OF BECOMING NUMERO UNO AGAIN & ALSO 'STUFF' THOSE AUSSIES AGAIN - HOME & AWAY !!
The are only 2 Rs in reintegration!