Charge confusion for England U21s
Tottenham's Steven Caulker and Tom Lees of Leeds have been named in reports as the England Under-21 players subject to Serbian police charges.
Both clubs have responded by saying neither they nor the players have received any formal notification of this and the Football Association are also awaiting further details.
The British Government have confirmed that Serbian police have submitted charges to their country's public prosecutor against two English players and a coach following the stormy Euro 2013 qualifier in Krusevac on October 16.
Neither player has been officially named and nor has a member of the England backroom staff.
The Government are now seeking clarity of the charges and their ramifications and awaiting the verdict of the public prosecutor before determining how to proceed.
Players and officials from both teams were caught up in violent scuffles after the match, which was also marred by allegations of racist chanting towards England players.
Caulker, 20, played in Spurs' Capital One Cup tie against Norwich on Wednesday unaware he was one of the two players named in reports.
A statement from Spurs read: "The club has been in contact with the Football Association amid reports that our defender Steven Caulker has been charged by Serbian police in relation to alleged incidents that occurred during the recent England Under-21 international in Krusevac.
"At this time, neither the FA, the player nor the club have received any formal notification of a charge.
"The FA has confirmed that they will seek to determine the validity of such reports and the formal position and that they are continuing their discussions with the Government to bring this matter to a swift and satisfactory conclusion.
"The club has requested all available information on this matter and will continue to liaise with the FA."
Manager Andre Villas-Boas added: "He didn't know before the game.
"The only thing I can tell you is that, as the statement says, we are waiting for the information because we can't just go on speculation with such a serious situation as this one.
"So we will have to wait for more news and then give you more feedback when appropriate."
Leeds issued a similar statement concerning 21-year-old Lees.
As confusion continued late on Wednesday night, another report suggested Blackpool's Tom Ince, and not Lees, may have been charged.
The FA's position has not changed from Tuesday, when reports of the charges first emerged, as they also wait for developments from Serbian authorities.
Explaining the situation, a British government spokesman said: "Serbian police have announced that they have submitted charges against two England players and an assistant coach to the public prosecutor following an incident at the England-Serbia under-21 football match in Serbia this month.
"We are investigating the full details of these charges before considering our response."
Trouble flared at the game after Connor Wickham struck in injury time for England to secure a 1-0 win and passage to next summer's finals in Israel courtesy of a 2-0 aggregate success.
Missiles were thrown onto the pitch as players celebrated and the scenes turned uglier as some fans got onto the playing surface and there were clashes involving members and staff of both teams.
The Serbian football association (FSS) acted decisively over this matter, handing lengthy bans to two players and two officials for their part in the confrontations.
Ognjen Mudrinski and Nikola Ninkovic were given one-year suspensions while coaches Srdjan Maksimovic and Andreja Milutinovic were handed two-year bans.
But this trouble was played out against a backdrop of alleged racial abuse from the stands towards England players.
Defender Danny Rose complained he had been particularly targeted and was sent off after the final whistle for kicking a ball away in anger amid the chaos.
Racist chanting was not acknowledged by the FSS who also claimed Rose had acted in an "inappropriate, unsportsmanlike and vulgar manner" towards their fans.
European governing body UEFA launched their own disciplinary proceedings, charging the FA over the behaviour of their players and the FSS with the same and for the alleged racist chanting.
A UEFA spokesperson said: "UEFA's control and disciplinary body will meet on November 22 to deal with this case and take a decision.
"The police charges/investigation are independent from us and do not impact the sporting disciplinary proceedings."