Premiership rugby stance unchanged
Premiership Rugby's stance remains unchanged on the future of top-flight European club competitions.
Heineken Cup chiefs have claimed all parties - including Premiership Rugby and their French counterparts - "reaffirmed" commitment on Wednesday towards negotiations regarding a new tournament agreement.
It followed a meeting of European Rugby Cup directors in Dublin, where attendees included Premiership Rugby's Peter Wheeler and Rene Bouscatel, of France's Ligue Nationale de Rugby.
Less than 24 hours earlier, English and French clubs announced plans for an alternative competition next season, and it is understood that is still firmly the intention.
Premiership Rugby and LNR served notice last year of their desire to quit the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup when the existing tournament accord expires next summer.
They want changes to the structure of both continental competitions, principally over the number of teams involved, the qualifying process and how funds are distributed.
"We have had 15 months of discussions which haven't produced an outcome," Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty said earlier this week.
"There hasn't been a meeting since May, and there has been no urgency over the summer. Our clubs have been very strong in saying they need clarity.
"If we can't reach an outcome involving all the European clubs, we at least have to set up a competition involving the English and French clubs.
"If others want to come into that competition then we can look at that, but we have to get on and prepare."
ERC, seemingly jolted into action by the English and French clubs' position, issued a statement headlined "All parties reaffirm commitment to ERC negotiations".
The statement read: "Despite recent reports, all parties involved in the formulation of a new ERC Accord, including the Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR) and Premiership Rugby, have reaffirmed their commitment to the process.
"A meeting focused solely on the negotiations will be convened by ERC as soon as practicable.
"It was agreed at a scheduled ERC Board meeting in Dublin today that ERC would facilitate the discussions and that the current points of difference, including the share of central revenues, qualification and season dates, would all be on the table.
"The board reiterated that European club competitions must be organised by ERC, and that any purported cross-border club tournaments needed the approval both of the IRB (International Rugby Board), and of the relevant Unions who are shareholders of ERC.
"Surprise was expressed at the timing and content of yesterday's media announcements by the LNR and Premiership Rugby, and representatives of both bodies were invited to explain their positions.
"It was pointed out that there was a range of proposals made by stakeholders, none of which were acceptable to all parties, and it was agreed that the negotiations towards a definitive solution needed to begin again in earnest."
Saracens chairman Nigel Wray, meanwhile, believes moves towards establishing a new Anglo-French competition next season were "inevitable".
"It was inevitable, it has to happen," Wray told ESPN.
"It is a Union competition, set up by the Unions, fair enough. But it is the clubs taking part in it and it's hugely important to the clubs. We want it to be a club-controlled competition.
"In addition, under the current structure, the two nations - France and England - who provide the vast majority of the revenue are permanently out-voted by the four other nations.
"In that system, you have to leave if you want to change something and that is what hopefully we are doing.
"We are setting up our own competition which one hopes the other nations will join. We hope it will have better revenue and will be better run than it is at the moment.
"Do we want the rest of the nations in it? Of course we do. It has got to be a competition that more accurately reflects the revenue generated by the various nations."