Price undergoes hand operation
Heavyweight David Price has been sidelined until December after undergoing hand surgery.
The Liverpudlian damaged a tendon in his right hand during last month's points win over Yaroslav Zavorotnyi and was forced to put off plans for another fight in September.
This injury lay-off is a fresh setback for the 31-year-old, who had put his career back on track with three wins following back-to-back defeats to Tony Thompson.
Speaking after the successful operation, Price said: \"I picked up a hand injury in my last fight against Zavorotnyi.
\"It had been four weeks and there had been no real improvement so I went to see Mike Hayton and we decided to open it up and see what the problem was.
''There was a split in the tendon and some scar tissue that had to be removed. It is still a little sore now but Mike was pleased with how it went and he is confident that my hand will be back to full strength in no time.
''Realistically we will be looking at December before I am able to get back in the ring. I am going to stay in the gym. There is still a lot of work I can do. I will just need to avoid any impact training for the time being.\"
The former British and Commonwealth champion had considered fighting on, with reports suggesting he was to appear on the same bill as George Groves' comeback fight on September 20.
But Price is confident he will return stronger and hopes to propel himself further up the rankings with another win at the end of the year.
''I am glad I have got this sorted now,\" said Price. \"There was the option to take a fight in September, get an injection and fight through the injury but then you run the risk of making it worse or causing some permanent damage.
''There is no doubt that I will benefit from the additional time in the gym and come back even stronger. It is a minor setback but by the end of the year I will have boxed four times in 2014 and that is a massive step in the right direction. Next year I will be ready to take on anyone!''