Pulis 'frustrated by inactivity'
Tony Pulis' shock departure from Crystal Palace was down to frustration at the club's inactivity in the transfer market, writes Sky Sports News HQ's Jim White.
Pulis, who led the side to 11th place in the Premier League last season, made his feelings known to co-chairman Steve Parish on Wednesday before leaving Selhurst Park less than 24 hours later.
The former Stoke boss, who took over Palace when they were rock-bottom last November, was voted Premier League Manager of the Year after guiding them to within touching distance of the top-10.
Parish revealed Pulis was unhappy at the club's failure to deliver his main targets, but insisted the pair 'parted on good terms'.
Pulis had become increasingly disappointed that a number of names on his wishlist had not got over the line with Palace trying to sign the likes of Steven Caulker and Gylfi Sigurdsson without success. It is believed the relationship between Pulis and Parish had run its course.
Pulis had told Parish on Wednesday night that he didn't want to carry on in the job. On Thursday, after training - which Pulis took - the two men got together and the terms of Pulis's departure were sorted out. They even went out for dinner and parted on good terms.
The club are hoping to find a replacement as soon as possible with 30-plus managers and coaches from around the world making it known they want to take over at Selhurst Park. Leading candidates include Malky Mackay, Tim Sherwood and Chris Hughton.
Earlier on Friday, the club made a brief announcement on their website confirming Pulis's exit from the club.
The statement read: "Keith Millen will be in temporary charge of the team for our opening Premier League game against Arsenal this Saturday.
"The club would like to thank Tony for his efforts with the club during last season and wish him all the best for the future."
Caretaker-boss Keith Millen will take charge of the team for the trip to Arsenal and has refused to rule himself out taking the job on a permanent basis.
\"It's too early for me to answer that (whether he will apply for the Palace job). I'll have to speak to the chairman and I've only had a brief conversation last night,\" Millen told Sky Sports News HQ.
\"I don't know what his thoughts are and I am sure he doesn't yet. We have got to get over the shock of what has happened and try and focus on the game.
\"I am shocked at the moment, I must admit. I had a phone call from the chairman last night and a brief conversation.
\"We were frustrated because we didn't get the players in we wanted but we've had a good pre-season with the players and we are looking forward to the game tomorrow.
\"It's been a big shock to me and I am sure it will be to the players. It's going to be a tough act to follow for someone but it's early days and we just have to get our heads round it.\"
Millen confirmed he has not spoken to Pulis since he resigned from his post but he remained in positive mood ahead of their season-opener.
\"No, not yet, but I am sure I will speak to him sometime today," he said.
"We always knew it was going to be a tough game going to Arsenal first game of the season but it is one we are looking forward to.
\"I need to remind them what a good pre-season we have had and get them looking forward to the game again.
̶ 0;We are not going to change. We are ready, prepared for the game and I have just got to try to settle them down and get them ready.\"
Watch Crystal Palace take on Arsenal from the Emirates live on Sky Sports 1 from 4.45pm this Saturday.