Racist chants mar Proact clash

Paul Cook refused to comment on allegations Armand Gnanduillet had been targeted by racist chants in the 2-1 win over Port Vale.

French-born Gnanduillet had to be restrained by his team-mates and stewards and it took several minutes to bring the nasty incident under control.

Cook said he would let the authorities deal with the incident and said he wanted to concentrate on his team's "excellent victory".

He said: "We've been playing well since the start of the season and it's the players who deserve all the credit.

"We are a passing team who like to get the ball down and play, but you also have to stand up to the physical test and be counted. We did that to a man.

"It's always a tough game here and it's an excellent victory.

"We've now got 10 points on the board and we are up and running.

"Gary Roberts was terrific in a position he excels in just off the front, but I was very pleased with every one of them.

"There were outstanding performances right through the team."

Defender Sam Hird was forced off with a knee injury in the first half and Cook admitted a very busy treatment room was cause for concern.

But he added: "Young Charlie Raglan was superb after he came on for Sam and the lads just got on with it.

"We've got a great spirit in the camp.

"I also want to thank the supporters for following us here in numbers.

"They really got behind the players and I'm sure they can see we've got an honest bunch who are giving their best for the club."

Chesterfield dominated most of the early play and took the lead in the ninth minute when Eoin Doyle kneed in the rebound from four yards after Roberts' shot had came back off a post.

Tom Pope struck the outside of a post as Vale attempted to fight their way back and the home side levelled against the run of play five minutes before the break.

Mark Marshall burst into the Chesterfield box from the right flank and smashed an angled drive high inside goalkeeper Tommy Lee's left-hand post.

But Chesterfield were back in front just 16 seconds into the second period.

Roberts mesmerised Ryan McGivern before placing an angled leftfooted shot which clipped the inside of the far post on its way in.

Colin Daniel forced a fine save from Lee before former Vale midfielder Sam Morsy retaliated when he rattled the crossbar from 30 yards.

Chesterfield had to survive the final seven minutes with 10 after Ian Evatt was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Vale boss Micky Adams said: "I'm very disappointed because we've had three home defeats on the bounce in the past week.

"It's not nice for any of us and also not nice for our supporters.

"I'm bitterly disappointed with the way we've conceded both goals and my emotions are running high.

"Too many people are making basic errors and it's not good enough.

"I told the players at half-time we weren't winning enough headers against their big centre-forward (Gnanduillet).

"We can't keep defending like we have been doing.

"We will all report back in on Monday and work doubly hard in readiness for next Saturday's game at Peterborough.

"It's a concern because we keep giving teams lifts against us and we've had to chase the last three games.

"From an attacking perspective we've seen glimpses of what we can do, but we have to improve in all aspects."