Rain holds up Gloucestershire

Gloucestershire were left frustrated on day one as rain came to the rescue of Glamorgan who had slumped to 47 for six at Cardiff.

Gloucestershire quick David Payne was left waiting to bowl his hat-trick ball after he claimed the scalps of Murray Goodwin and Mark Wallace with the final two deliveries before the weather brought a halt to proceedings in the 20th over.

Payne, who left the pitch with figures of three for 14 from 4.4 overs, also claimed the wicket of South African batsman Jacques Rudolph for four as the home side collapsed.

Glamorgan's innings got off to the worst possible start when Gareth Rees was caught behind by Cameron Herring off the bowling of Will Gidman with the first ball of the day.

Will Gidman then trapped Stewart Walters lbw for four as the home side fell to 18 for two in the fifth over.

Things then went from bad to worse as a diving catch by Gloucestershire captain Michael Klinger off the bowling of Matt Taylor sent opener William Bragg back to the pavilion for 25 to leave Glamorgan reeling on 33 for three.

Rudolph headed back to the locker room with only three more runs added to the board when Payne bowled him out for a painstaking contribution of four from 37 balls to leave the hosts four down after 16 overs.

That left Goodwin and Jim Allenby at the crease, but not for long, as the former was caught at slip by Alex Gidman off the bowling of Payne for just eight with the score on 47.

David Payne struck immediately again with his next ball to send Glamorgan captain Wallace packing but before he could bowl his hat-trick ball the players were taken off for rain.

The break could not have come sooner for the Welsh side, who were glad to get back to the safety of the pavilion.

A pitch inspection was set for 2pm but the rain continued to fall, with an early tea then taken with a further inspection scheduled for 3.15.

Play was then set to resume at 4:10 with 43 overs scheduled to be played, but bad light and rain just before the resumption caused a further delay with another inspection set for 5.45.

The umpires took to the field and finally decided there would be no more play on the first day, with Payne set to resume with his hat-trick ball first up on Monday, weather permitting.