Rhinos rip through Vikings

Widnes saw their 100 percent start to the season come to an emphatic end as they were beaten 38-4 by Leeds at a windswept Headingley.

Ben Jones-Bishop marked his first appearance of the season with a brace of tries as the Rhinos eased past the Vikings to make sure they have yet to taste defeat so far in 2014.

The winger - selected in place of the rested Ryan Hall - touched down twice in the first half and the hosts ran riot after the break, running in a further five tries, with four of them coming in the space of 16 minutes.

A Rhys Hanbury effort six minutes from time at least made sure the Vikings - who had won three from three on home soil heading into the match - at least avoided being shut out.

Having seen their own perfect record ended by a draw at Huddersfield last time out, Leeds wasted little time in attacking the Widnes line.

Winger Tom Briscoe should have broken the deadlock after four minutes but couldn't hold on to a Joel Moon pass that, had it been taken, would have set him free.

Flowing move

Instead it was Jones-Bishop on the other flank who did get the first points of the contest with 17 minutes gone, finishing off a flowing team move which went through seven pairs of hands.

His second arrived six minutes later when full-back Zak Hardaker beautifully held up a pass to create the opportunity for his team-mate, Kevin Sinfield this time adding the extras to make it 10-0.

Despite having the wind in their faces after the break, the Rhinos tore through the visiting defence.

Kallum Watkins' clever footwork caught Widnes cold before Ryan Bailey sparked a four-try burst when he charged over with a turn of pace rarely seen from a forward.

Jones-Bishop unselfishly opted to pass inside to set up a score for Sinfield, who then combined with Danny McGuire to provide a try for Rob Burrow.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan crossed for the last Leeds score, Sinfield adding the extras to take his personal tally for the evening to 14 points.

They took their foot off the accelerator after the onslaught, allowing Widnes full-back Hanbury to sneak in for the Vikings for what was no more than a consolation effort in the closing minutes.