Robinson never lost faith

Karl Robinson insists he was never worried despite MK Dons going behind early, before roaring back to secure a memorable 4-2 win.

The Dons recovered to earn all three points against Gillingham thanks to second-half goals from Will Grigg, Kyle McFadzean and an own goal from Aaron Morris..

After going two goals ahead in the first 30 minutes, an injury to Cody McDonald, who was stretchered off and then a bizarre substitution from Gills boss Peter Taylor that saw goalkeeper Stuart Nelson replaced at the break, proved the visitors' undoing.

But Robinson felt his team were always in control and never deserved to be two goals behind.

"I felt our play was so good in the first-half that we deserved that bit of luck," he said.

"We dominated that first-half, I think we had 11 crosses in that first period and I just felt if we kept going on the front foot and kept doing the right things we'd score.

"I didn't once say a negative comment at half-time and I think the players didn't deserve to be criticised. Collectively there was nothing wrong in that first-half

"We have tremendous quality within this group and it's always going to be like that and there are an awful lot of positives to take out of this."

Gillingham took the lead inside seven minutes - McDonald, who netted 17 goals last term - raced free of McFadzean to produce a neat finish.

McDonald was also involved in his side's second goal in the 28th minute as Dons goalkeeper David Martin bundled the former Norwich man over inside the penalty area and Danny Kedwell scored from the spot.

The home side pulled a goal back a minute before the break as goalkeeper Nelson failed to hold an aerial ball, which then hit Kortney Hause to bounce over the goal-line.

Brentford loanee Grigg started the comeback when he headed home from Danny Green's cross in the 67th minute.

Green, who signed a permanent deal in the summer following a loan spell last term, then provided for McFadzean, who looped home his header.

The comeback was complete when another Green set-piece took a deflection off the Gills defender Aaron Morris and bounced over the goal-line.

Gills boss Taylor was disappointed with his side's defending.

He said: "I thought some of the stuff we did in the first-half was very good, we showed some good pace and quality at times.

"I think some of the goals we conceded were very poor defensively for us, the one before half-time killed us a little bit and it gave MK Dons a bit of momentum and knocked us back a little bit.

"I still felt at half-time that we could go on to get a third goal because I felt as if we were counter-attacking them very well.

"We let in two goals from crosses that were poor goals and then one from a corner."