Saints stun Rhinos, Wigan win

Winger Tom Makinson scored two tries in the last 16 minutes to help leaders St Helens snatch a dramatic 14-10 victory over Leeds Rhinos.

Coach Nathan Brown has been insisting all along that the Rhinos are the team to beat in 2014, but he will need to look closer to home after his side's tremendous win against the odds.

Leeds twice held the lead, courtesy's of Danny McGuire's 250th try of his career and three goals from returning skipper Kevin Sinfield.

But, with the scores tied at 10-10, Sinfield was wide with a drop goal attempt six minutes from the end and Makinson pounced for the winning try four minutes later to condemn the visitors to their first defeat of the season.

Wigan needed a late try from Matty Bowen to see off a determined Catalan Dragons side 22-16 and make it three wins on the bounce.

Catalan began with a two-try burst from Morgan Escare and Ben Pomeroy in the opening 10 minutes that left the Super League champions stunned and facing an uphill battle.

It took until the 29th minute for them to register any points as Australian full-back Bowen dummied his way over to put Wigan within six points at the break.

Escare and Josh Charnley traded tries early in the second half and Liam Farrell levelled matters with 13 minutes left before Bowen left the best until last to seal a dramatic victory for the champions.

Hull FC delivered a determined performance to get their season back on track with a 30-8 victory over Salford Red Devils at the KC Stadium.

A "crisis" meeting was called by Black and Whites coach Lee Radford following last weekend's 7-0 home loss to Widnes Vikings and his players responded with a showing full of desire and bravery.

Young half-back Jacob Miller marked his first appearance of the season with the first try of the night before Greg Johnson showed good determination to level for Salford.

Jamie Shaul, returning at full-back, put Hull back in front on the half-hour mark and brilliantly laid the platform for Ben Crooks to give the hosts some breathing space just after the break.

Richard Horne and Junior Sa'u exchanged tries before Liam Watts rounded off the scoring two minutes from time.