Slade glad to get off the mark

Leyton Orient boss Russell Slade was delighted to pick up his first points of the campaign after a 3-1 win at Oldham.

Last season's play-off finalists began 2014/15 with a home defeat to Chesterfield, but Darius Henderson inspired them to victory at Boundary Park.

Oldham took a 16th-minute lead when Jonathan Forte raced on to Carl Winchester's pass and slotted in his third goal in two games. But Henderson, a summer signing from Nottingham Forest, levelled four minutes later by converting Dean Cox's throughball.

The Latics wasted chances before Henderson set up David Mooney to drill the visitors ahead after 58 minutes.

Substitute Kevin Lisbie sealed Orient's win nine minutes from time, heading home Cox's corner with his first touch.

Slade said: "The first half wasn't great for us and we gifted Oldham their goal.

"It was frightening defending and Oldham were the better side for half an hour, but we managed to stay in the game by scoring an equaliser.

"We got to grips defensively and after that we showed great control of the game. We were nice and solid and didn't give Oldham one opportunity.

"It's good to have our first league win of the season and also our first win for the new owners.

"There's still a lot of improvement to make and there won't be much time to work on things because we've got so many games coming up, especially away from home.

"We've got injuries so we'll have to juggle and use our squad, but this season we have a group of 20 players who can all contribute.

"Darius Henderson's contribution has been massive, but you can see we've got some strength when Kevin Lisbie comes off the bench and scores straight away.

"We are going to need that, but it has been a good few days for the club."

Oldham manager Lee Johnson blasted his players for fading badly after a bright start to the game.

He said: "In the first half we were very good. It was good in all aspects because we were compact, we got pressure on the ball and we were dangerous on the counter-attack.

"We created chances, but then we went out for the second half and looked dopey, naive and lacking in communication.

"That's what did the damage, but there were also too many individual errors and overall it's very frustrating.

"It's a game we should have won, no doubt, but you have to be mentally strong enough to play for 90 minutes instead of 45.

"After losing in the cup in midweek we needed to come out with a good league performance in front of our fans, but we fizzled out and showed inexperience.

"It's not a disaster because we've only played two league games and we've taken a point, but we need to knuckle down and get something against Port Vale on Tuesday."