sport

Solskjaer defends Gunnarsson

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists the club will defend and support Aron Gunnarsson following allegations he leaked details of the Cardiff City starting XI to Crystal Palace ahead of their home match earlier this month.

The Bluebirds, who lost 3-0, have already complained to the Premier League about the matter and are hoping the match can be replayed.

However, the Cardiff boss has jumped to the Icelandic midfielder's defence, with Gunnarsson himself denying being the source of the leak.

Solskjaer said: "We will defend his name and reputation to the edge of the cliff, definitely.

"He will be involved in the squad on Saturday. He is there training. He will be involved unless he gets an injury."

As for the incident, Solskjaer said: "We have had issues internally. We've dealt with it and sent a report to the Premier League, and that is the end of the matter for us.

"We trust the Premier League to deal with whatever is required. The players have dealt with it fantastically. We've had a couple of chats and that is the end of the matter.

"You want to become a club that just talks about the football. I did have a good guess-estimate of Palace's team. That's just football, you do your ground work, you have got your scouts, you analyse them but we do it the right way."

And Cardiff keeper David Marshall also backed his under-fire team-mate, saying: "The one thing I will say is that Aron would never give somebody, or the opposition manager or anybody, our team line-up.

"He is one of the hardest-working and most honest people I have come across in the game. I don't know how it has come across that Aron's given it but I would put my life on it that Aron has not been involved.

"In terms of the leak, I think if people are doing that, nine out of 11 you could probably guess every Saturday who is going to be starting the game.

"With Aron's situation the last couple of days has probably brought the team closer."