sport

Sutton out of Tour Down Under

Team Sky rider Chris Sutton has been forced to withdraw from the Santos Tour Down Under following his crash at the People's Choice Classic on Sunday.

The Australian suffered a small fracture to his right wrist after being involved in a crash involving several riders at the end of the sixth of 25 laps.

Although he was able to get back on his bike and finish the race in fourth position, X-rays on Monday morning confirmed the injury.

Sutton said: "It's a massive blow not to be continuing on with the lads because they did an incredible job for me last night.

Earle called up

"My groin and my knee were pretty sore in the race, but it was only afterwards, on the way back to the hotel, that my wrist started hurting and I couldn't grip the handlebars.

"I'm trying to stay upbeat and looking forward to the Tour of Qatar now. That should be my first race back and I will have a week or so on the turbo before getting myself back on the road."

Sutton will be replaced in the Team Sky line-up by Nathan Earle, who has been granted official approval to do so by the International Cycling Union.

The Tasmanian will fly in to Adelaide from Hobart on Monday evening and make his Team Sky debut on Tuesday.

Visconti facing lay-off

Meanwhile, Giovanni Visconti faces being off the bike for "at least five weeks" after breaking his right leg in the same crash.

The Italian Movistar rider fractured his tibia and underwent an operation to pin the bone later that night.

He will remain in Australia until the end of the Santos Tour Down Under, which he had been due to race, before flying home with his team-mates next week.

A Movistar team statement said: "The recovery will depend on the evolution of his injuries, yet Visconti is expected to stay at least five weeks away from the roads."