Taylor brace shocks Aberdeen

Lyle Taylor grabbed a brace as Partick Thistle collected their first home win of the season thanks to a 3-1 victory over high-flying Aberdeen.

All the goals came during a 14-minute spell in the second half, as the Dons slipped to just a second defeat in their last 12 matches in all competitions.

The win moves Partick up to 10th in the Scottish Premiership table as they secured a first triumph at Firhill since April 10.

Partick had been outplayed during the opening 45 minutes but began the second period with greater confidence and broke the deadlock in the 58th minute.

After the visitors had failed to clear a Thistle corner, Kallum Higginbotham turned the ball back into the box and Conrad Balatoni found the bottom right-hand corner of the net from 12 yards.

And six minutes later the hosts added a second with Higginbotham once again the provider.

This time his low cross was met by Taylor who finished off from close range following a quick fire break from the hosts.

But back came second-placed Dons on 66 as Niall McGinn's free-kick was glanced home by the dangerous Adam Rooney.

However, any thoughts of an Aberdeen comeback was extinguished on 72 as Taylor netted his second goal of the afternoon, finding the bottom right-hand corner of the net from Stuart Bannigan's cross.

In a goalless first half, Aberdeen were the dominant team and were left to rue a missed 16th minute penalty after home keeper Paul Gallacher had pulled down Rooney.

However, Barry Robson's spot kick was pushed away by Gallacher who also saved a rebound attempt from Andrew Considine.

And just 30 seconds later, the visitors had another chance to find the back of the net when Rooney's shot from 12 yards was again saved by the Thistle keeper.

Gary Fraser's long range effort, which flew inches wide of the left-hand post, was Partick's best chance before the break, while Gallacher once again denied Aberdeen as he dived low to his left to keep out a Rooney header on 36.

But Partick responded brilliantly in the second period, with Higginbotham and Taylor playing important roles.

Taylor came close to completing his hat-trick during the closing 12 minutes - on more than one occasion - but his misses mattered little because the three points were already in the bag.