Tigers in talks over Sneyd

Castleford coach Daryl Powell says the Tigers have opened talks with Salford in their attempt to keep free-scoring stand-off Marc Sneyd.

Sneyd produced another man-of-the-match performance in the Tigers' 50-12 rout of neighbours Wakefield at the Magic Weekend in Manchester.

Sneyd, who joined Castleford on a season-long loan in the deal that took Rangi Chase to the Red Devils, continued his rich vein of form with a 22-point haul from two tries and seven goals as the Tigers bounced back in style from consecutive defeats to reclaim third place in the First Utility Super League.

"He's their contracted player and, if they decide to retain him it will be tough for us but we're obviously talking to Salford and we'll see where that goes," Powell said.

"He's got a bit of quality about him and he's playing well. He's doing a great job for us, as is Liam Finn and I thought Jamie Ellis played well today.

"It doesn't matter who we put in, the boys just play well. It makes it tough for me to pick a side."

Castleford, who won 49-24 in the corresponding fixture at the Etihad Stadium 12 months ago, were once more in a different class as they ran in nine tries to two against a side who went into the game on the back of consecutive away wins.

"Ultimately it was a bit of a blow-out," Powell continued. "I expected it to be a lot closer, particularly looking at Wakefield's last two games, but I thought the conditions were made for us and, once we get on the front foot, we play some outstanding rugby league.

"Our players were superb in delivering a game plan and I thought defensively it was a great effort. I'm not sure how many tackles we missed but it wouldn't have been too many."

Livewire hooker Daryl Clark and blockbusting winger Justin Carney also scored two tries apiece while Powell was delighted with the debut of former Wigan and Salford prop Lee Jewitt.

"He's fitted in so neatly," Powell said. "It was a real quality first game from him."

Wakefield had the game's first scoring opportunity when hooker Paul McShane was turned on his back over the line but they quickly over-run and trailed 34-0 before opening their account through prop Nick Scruton's first try for the club.

Stand-off Paul Sykes added a second try 10 minutes from the end but it was scant consolation for a bitterly disappointed coach Richard Agar.

"We've had two or three weeks of heading in the right direction but we have that ability in us when we have a few people not at the top of their game," Agar said.

"Castleford are a really good side and they do start games well. We felt at half-time we were dealing with a shell-shocked team.

"I thought they were very clinical but we felt we handed them their first two or three tries on a plate. We didn't have enough response to their guys in the middle.

"We knew we were going to have some tough days and today was a particularly tough one."