sport

Tomic ready for Rafa test

Bernard Tomic remains hopeful that he can create a massive shock in the first round of the Australian Open.

The 21-year-old Aussie has been drawn to face top seed and world No 1 Rafael Nadal who won the most recent Grand Slam title in New York.

The world No 57 has been in decent form of late, only to suffer a heavy defeat in the final of the Sydney International losing in straight sets to Juan Martin del Potro.

Tomic said: "Everything is possible these days, everything is possible.

"I'm playing good. I'm pretty confident. I've just got to play the tennis I played early throughout Sydney.

"Obviously, if I can do that, I'm going to give myself a chance.

"It's going to be difficult, going to have to be one of those days where I can play my best."

The match is expected to be on the main Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday and Tomic expects to gain a lot from the experience.

"I'm going to use it as an opportunity," he said. "Whatever happens, win or lose, I'll take a lot from this match.

"It's going to help me in 2014 a lot because obviously I've had the past two years where I haven't done well throughout the year except just tournaments like Wimbledon and Davis Cup.

"I need to keep this attitude up. If I do, I know I can play like I played last week."

As for Nadal, speaking about his first match in Australia, he said: "It is not the best round I know to start a Grand Slam, playing against a player who is local and who is young, who played great in the past here, and who is playing well. It's a tough start."