sport

Ukraine still hosting, for now

FIBA Europe has rejected reports that Ukraine has withdrawn from hosting next year's EuroBasket amid ongoing political unrest.

A statement from tournament director Markiyan Lubkivsky earlier on Wednesday appeared to indicate that Ukraine had asked the European governing body to find an alternative home for the 2015 edition of the European championships while suggesting Ukraine would then bid to host the 2017 EuroBasket.

But FIBA Europe has insisted that has not yet happened, with the situation to be discussed at a meeting of the FIBA Europe board this weekend.

"Reports about Ukraine stepping down as EuroBasket 2015 hosts are not true. FIBA Europe has not received any such request," FIBA Europe said via Twitter.

"All reports reflect personal opinion of Mr Lubkivsky, not the views of the UKR Basketball Federation, says @UkrBasket in statement."

Earlier, Lubkivsky's statement said: "I cannot imagine how to carry out preparations in the current severe economic and political conditions."

Ukraine has been the centre of a political crisis for several weeks, with president Viktor Yanukovych fleeing Kiev last month in the face of increasingly violent protests, while Russia has now annexed Crimea.

In the wake of Lubkivsky's statement, France immediately became the favourites to host the tournament in Ukraine's place.

However, the president of the French Basketball Federation, Jean-Pierre Siutat, used Twitter to say he had spoken to his Ukrainian counterpart and offered his support.

"Sasha Volkov just called me. The rumour of the day indicating that Ukraine dropped organising the eurobasket2015 is false," Siutat wrote.

"The situation is complex. Let the Ukrainian federation solve its problems. She can count on @ ffbasketball"