Vikings thrash Keighley

Widnes are the first team through to the Challenge Cup semi-finals with a 56-6 success over part-timers Keighley.

Tom Gilmore scored three of the Vikings' 10 tries as the Super League side dominated from the start against the depleted Cougars.

Keighley coach Paul March was unable to be in the ground following an RFL ban, though there would have been little he could have done about the opening 10 minutes, when the home side put three tries on the board to effectively settle the contest.

Though the Cougars did at least get on the scoreboard with Daley Williams' second-half try, they were never in this, though they could be credited for failing to throw in the towel.

There were less than two minutes on the clock when Stefan Marsh sent 21-year-old Declan Hulme over in the right-hand corner to set the Vikings on their way.

Gilmore then made it tries in three successive matches when he followed up both Danny Tickle and Alex Gerrard to score near the posts.


Man of the match Kevin Brown twisted his way over from close range to get that third try in the first 10 minutes and soon he was dancing his way through the defence for a spectacular second.

The former Wigan and Huddersfield star then turned provider when his cross field bomb was brilliantly caught by Jack Owens to score his team's fifth try.

Marsh added one of his own, following up Hulme's break down the right flank, as the speed and handling of the Super League side was just too much for the Cougars defence to cope with. It gave Widnes a 32-0 lead at the break.

Willie Isa got over for a try within a minute of the restart, though there was some joy for Keighley when Williams timed his run to perfection to get one back for the Championship side.

Gilmore got across for his second of the night, again wonderfully supplied by the boot of Brown, who was immediately withdrawn from the field by coach Denis Betts, his job done.

Danny Craven survived a high tackle before responding well with the next Vikings score, his first of the campaign and with 10 minutes remaining, Gilmore supported Rhys Hanbury's clean break to get on the end of the move to round-off the scoring with his hat-trick try.