Villas-Boas rejected offers
Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed he turned down approaches from two clubs this summer, one of them thought to be Paris St Germain, because he believes Tottenham are on the verge of achieving something big.
Tottenham do not start their season until Sunday afternoon at Crystal Palace, but Villas-Boas has already achieved something he has not done before - he is starting a season at the same club with which he finished the previous campaign.
Villas-Boas completed just one campaign at Porto after spending eight months in his first post at Academica de Coimbra and then his reign at Chelsea came to an end just 256 days after he was appointed.
The 35-year-old could have departed Spurs this summer. PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid were all reportedly interested in making Villas-Boas their new manager, but the power, prestige and money was not enough to persuade the Portuguese to leave.
Franco Baldini's appointment as technical director, which Villas-Boas had been calling for all last year, has helped Tottenham land the players the manager thinks he needs to a mount a more effective assault on the top four this season.
"(I turned the offers down) because this is my first opportunity to start a second year in the same club," Villas-Boas said at the official Premier League launch at a south London school on Thursday.
"I think that can give me an advantage and it is something I want to try.
"I have been very welcomed, I have an excellent group of players, and the conditions and structures we have at Tottenham are fantastic and the arrival of Franco takes us to another level so these are things I had to measure.
"I have great respect for the club and for (chairman) Daniel (Levy) and these are the reasons the couple of clubs that came knocking I told them that I wasn't interested."