sport

Watson rules out bowling

Australia's Shane Watson looks increasingly doubtful to play in the second Test against South Africa after saying he is not fit enough to bowl.

The 31-year-old has been battling a calf strain and did not bowl in training on Monday ahead of the second Test starting on Thursday in Adelaide.

Watson said he would not bowl if selected for the Adelaide Test, casting doubt over his place given selectors have been non-committal on his spot should he can only be available to bat.

"Bowling is out. For me it's just about being able to run around and do the skills I need to do and be fit to play as a batsman to start with," the Australia vice-captain said.

"At the moment every day is just about trying to get through and hoping that my calf continues to progress really well.

"I've got to do everything I can to hope it progresses well but if it doesn't I hope I'll be right for the next couple of weeks.

"At the moment the most important thing is to be able to run consistently without hurting it."

Australia's high performance manager Pat Howard last week suggested Watson would not be considered if he could not bowl but when chairman of selectors John Inverarity announced the 13-man squad last Friday, he said Watson would be considered purely on his merits as a batsman.

Victorian Rob Quiney made his Test debut at number three in the Brisbane Test with the more likely scenario seeing Watson return for the Perth Test in 11 days' time.