Williams: Back to union in 2015
New Zealander Sonny Bill Williams hopes to become the first man to win World Cups in two codes and represent his country at the Olympics.
A relaxed and jovial Williams fronted the media at New Zealand's World Cup headquarters on Sunday to outline his immediate future, which was clouded in mystery and uncertainty just a few days ago.
The Premiership-winning Roosters star said he will return to rugby union in 2015 and hopes to represent New Zealand in sevens at the 2016 Olympics.
He also revealed he sought the support of team-mates before deciding to make himself available for the World Cup, expressing his pain at seeing Tohu Harris removed from the squad to make room for him.
Williams joked that he hoped the media spies would leave him in peace now that everything was out in the open.
The rumour mill went into overdrive on Thursday when the dual international and manager Khoder Nasser were spotted lunching with key New Zealand rugby union officials. Williams said they were discussing plans for 2015, not signing a contract for 2014.
"The deal hadn't been done. I was just being honest and upfront with them. That's how I've always been," he said.
"I've made my intentions clear - in doing the deal with the Roosters for next year - but I want to go back to the New Zealand Rugby Union to try and put my foot in the door for my franchise in New Zealand, hopefully the Chiefs (in 2015).
"It's good to have my made my intentions clear for the next three years and not have to worry about it."
Williams faced criticism from fans and large sections of the media following his World Cup U-turn.
"There's always going to be that (criticism)...whatever I do," he said.
"I just had to do what I felt was right in my heart and my gut. What I've figured in the last week more than ever is you can't please everyone, even though you want to.
"There's always going to be sour grapes in certain parts of the media but I can't control that."
The Melbourne rookie Harris was the fall guy after Williams decided to make himself available for the New Zealand World Cup squad after it was chosen, dropped from the 24-man tour party.
Williams revealed he gave coach Stephen Kearney and team-mates the option of blocking his return.
"It's definitely an unfortunate situation," he said. "I am very remorseful.
"I said to the coach I'm willing to drop out because I felt that bad but he told me I had the backing of all the senior players and they wanted me to part of it. I have to go with the coach's decision, the boys' decision, and the way I can repay that is by playing good footy.
"That's what I do best."